I was looking through Friday’s Globe And Mail (C2) when this headline caught my attention; “If music be the food of work, play on.” I read the article with interest.

Workers are more turned on by tuning in to music, a survey finds.

Nearly one-third -32 per cent- of 1,613 U.S. employees said they listen to music while working through the use of an iPod, MP3 player or similar device.

And 79 per cent of them said all that humming along improves their job satisfaction or productivity, the survey conducted by Harris Interactive for staffing company Spheron Corp. found.

The effect of music was the highest among younger workers, with 90 per cent of those 18 to 24 and 89 per cent of those 30 to 39 saying it boosted job satisfaction.

That finding didn’t surprise me one bit. As a teacher, I’ve known that for years. Listening to music helps improve productivity. Why? One reason is because music acts like white noise in the background preventing students from noticing every other little noise that usually distracts them. Some kids can’t tune out things like a pencil dropping or someone asking a question. Their brain takes everything in; consequently, they are often distracted and off task in the classroom.

Just so there is no confusion here, I want to say that I do not advocate listening to music during a lesson when I the teacher is  teaching or during class discussions. During these times students need to be attentive listeners and listen  to what is going on in the class.

Of course there have to be some guidelines for this to work effectively. I’ve learned the hard way.(Have you noticed, I seem to say that often?) After discussing using music as a tool to assist with concentration and focus, I give student these guidelines (well, they’re actually rules, but “guidelines” sound so much better. Some of my at risk students have trouble with rules. It’s all how you say it. I’ve learned that the hard way, too) These are the guidelines:

1. Listen to music that you know and love. Listening to new, unfamiliar music is distracting (your brain focuses on the new) and that defeats the purpose.

2. Listen to your own music on your own iPod, Mp3 player etc. Absolutely no sharing. Sharing wastes time and causes commotion that is distracting to other students and that defeats the purpose.

3. Listen to your music after I have taught the lesson. Listening to music while I am teaching distracts you from what I am saying and that defeats the purpose.

My students are cool about the whole music thing in class. They understand the need for guidelines and usually don’t push too often. It’s amazing to see the kids hooked up to their music and working away, doing far more while listening to their music than they would without listening to their music.
When I create an Individual Education Plan for my Learning Disabled or Behaviour students, if I believe that listening to music while working will help that student be more successful, I will include that accommodation in the I.E.P. and share that with the student’s teachers.

UPDATE
Click here for research about benefits of music in the classroom

Update- April 23, 2010- another research study about benefits of listening to music. Be sure to check out the comments, too.

Comments

177 Responses to “Listening to Music Helps Students Be More Productive in The Classroom”

1. TheBizofKnowledge on September 24th, 2006 7:30 am

I’m always surprised by survey results like this. I have never been able to either study or work while listening to music. Even when it’s familiar music, I find myself soon focusing on the lyrics instead of the task at hand. I know a lot of people function just fine with music in the backgroun, but I’m not one of them!

2. Elona on September 24th, 2006 11:32 am

You are not alone. Some of my students tell me the same thing. They can’t concentrate when they listen to music. That’s why I don’t just play music in my classroom for all to “enjoy”. Not every strategy works for everyone- too bad. But, it’s worth trying any strategy just in case it does work. As an advocate for my learning disabled and at risk kids, I encourage classroom teachers to try any strategy even if it sounds crazy to them to see if it works for their students. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. :)

3. Michelle on February 2nd, 2007 10:20 am

As a teacher is a computer lab this is a strategy I have used probably for the past two or three years. I am firm about them being attentive and music being put away for a lecture, but at work time, if it helps them, so be it. I make them keep in turned down to a reasonable level (I don’t want to hear it) and I like the no sharing thing.

The problem I run into is administration. This is of course a blatant disregard for school policy and it has gotten me into trouble before, so be ready to defend your reasons if it becomes and issue, even if you don’t win the battle. People will respect your reasons.

4. Elona on February 2nd, 2007 7:37 pm

Michelle, it’s interesting that you made your comment today. At work we were having a discussion about music and how it’s against the rules for the kids to listen ito music n the classroom. I don’t know why it’s such a contentious issue. The only reason I hear people say that we shouldn’t listen to music is that it’s against the rules. Well then I say, change the rules and those people who don’t want to break rules will be happy.

‘m pleased to hear that you see the benefit of having your student listen while they work. Listening to music with headphones is like sitting in one of those carrels that teachers put kids in so they are away from the other students. When a kid listens to the music this way he isolates himself from others and is not distracted by them and does not distract them.

5. rita on March 16th, 2007 12:53 am

I have a question, how do you word the IEP accommodation to permit music?

6. Elona on March 16th, 2007 7:21 am

Rita, I usually just say that the student should be able to use headphones while working on seat work but not when the teacher is teaching or class is taking up work. In my class I usually ask all the students to turn off the music, take the headphones off and make eye contact so that I know they are with me. I talk about good listening skills and what that means for kids who like to listen to music when working. I do not permit sharing equipment-it causes too many problems. Hope that answers your question.

7. Alex on October 14th, 2007 7:16 pm

hey Elona.

I’m a student in high school and I’m writing an article for our school paper on music in classrooms.

I was wondering if it would be okay if I could quote you. so far, your information has been the most helpful!

thanks!

–alex

8. Elona on October 14th, 2007 7:43 pm

Alex,
    I’m delighted you found this post useful. Please feel free to quote anything I have said.

9. Taranesha on October 29th, 2007 5:32 pm

Hi Elona,
    Im actually doing a science project in a class and my group chose the subject “How does music affect kids in a classroom?”and your blog has helped me a lot to anwer that question.Thanks very much!

10. Elona on October 29th, 2007 6:28 pm

Taranesha,
    You’re very welcome. Glad I was able to help.

11. Marie on November 2nd, 2007 11:30 am

I don’t see any distinction made in these comments between music with lyrics and instrumental music. In my experience, people who listen to lyrics while writing end up writing nonsense that rhymes with the lyrics their brain is processing, or words that rhyme with what they intended to write. I’d suggest that classical or instrumental music is much less disruptive and may indeed focus the brain away from random environmental sounds that grab your attention and distract you. Big difference. Ban rap!

12. Elona on November 3rd, 2007 10:14 pm

Marie,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post a comment about this particular article. I haven’t found a difference between listening to instrumental music and lyrics, but maybe your right. I haven’t gotten any writing assignments that were weird because my students were listening to lyrics. I’ll have to ask my students and see what they say about it and get back to you.

13. Amanda on November 12th, 2007 2:22 pm

This is great! I’m a keyboarding teacher who has recently allowed my students to bring in their I-pods and headphones to listen to music while they work. I had been in a struggle of getting them to work quietly, stay on task, and focus on the work being done. Since allowing the music in the class and of course, after I finished the lesson my students are quiet, they remain on task, and they actually retain the information for later use. It’s amazing! Plus the distractions from other students or just from people walking in the classroom has been elinminated because they are being doing the assignment given and listening to their music.

14. Elona on November 12th, 2007 5:52 pm

Amanda,
    You’ve made my point! Thank you for sharing your experience.

15. Patrick on November 27th, 2007 8:33 pm

Im a Junior in high school, and i find that I cant concentrate at all if im not listening to music. It kind of gets me in the zone, and I block everything else out.
    My school used to have a study period (where u can do your homework, or just talk with friends) and I used to listen to my mp3 player during that period and get my work done. But then my school went and changed the rules. Now any mp3 players are taken away if seen by a teacher, and teachers wont allow them in their study classes, now I get like no work done at school, It really stinks.

I have to give a speech about why mp3 players should be allowed in school for my english class. I really like some of your facts, and I was wondering, do you mind if I use some of your information?

16. Logan on December 1st, 2007 2:10 pm

FINALLY someone who agrees with me im in middle school and i love music i cant live without it im doin a project and your site is like the best mind if i use some of the info on this site you are by far the koolest teacher iv ever heard from
    ROCK ON logan

17. Elona on December 1st, 2007 2:56 pm

Logan,
    By all means. you can quote me to support your argument. Glad I could be helpful. Thanks for the compliment!

18. Meka on January 10th, 2008 2:10 pm

I ABSOLUTLY AGREE MY LAST YEAR TEACHER DID THIS FOR US AND OUR SCORES ON TEST WENT UP TO AN EXTREME PEOPLE DONT THINK LITTLE THINGS LIKE THESE CAN HELP BUT THEY DO

19. Elona Hartjes on January 10th, 2008 6:28 pm

Meka,
    I’m glad it worked for you. Spread the word.

20. Kelly Snider on January 11th, 2008 5:30 pm

I am currently a permanant subsitute teacher who is working on an M.Ed. The district I work in does not allow any digital music devices. For my M.Ed Thesis/Project I would like to create a proposal to the School Board about the matter. In my experience there are many students who genuinely learn better with music playing. Students today have very little “silent time” in their day….they are acustomed to continuous background noise and they have learned to be productive with it. As far as I am concerned the school is hindering learning by not allowing any Mp3 players in the classroom. I agree that students should be able to use them while doing tests and individual work. Hopefully after my project my school district will agree.

21. Elona Hartjes on January 11th, 2008 6:17 pm

Kelly,
    Good for you taking on this battle! Some people don’t realize that familiar music acts like white noise and blocks out other distractions like a pencil dropping or someone walking by the classroom. I get distracted if someone walks by my open classroom door or if my students walk around the classroom. I am a strong visual learner and get distracted by things that move, yet I need to be fidgiting all the time- go figure.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going. I would love to know what your research shows and how the school district reacts to it.

My students who have an Individual Education Plan get to listen to music because it is one of the accommodations that allows them to do better. Of course, I’m the one who creates the plan :) and writes the accommodations. I would encourage any parent/guardian/teacher of a kid who would benefit from listening to music to help them concentration to make sure listening to music while working gets put into the IEP. One has to be creative sometime. I have never had any problems when I do it this way.

I do not let kids share ear buds or exchange equipment. That causes problems.

22. megan_b on January 22nd, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi, I’m a freshman in high school. I’ve been researching articles and .org sites for information on my question which is ‘Does the tempo of music affect the academic performance.’ I chose this question because music is my life. It helps me cope with a lot things that have gone on in my life. I was googling sites for my paper, and i came across this article. I just wanted to say that this is exactly what people need to be reading about. For some people, like me, listening to music really helps you out in things. I always listen to my ipod when I’m doing my homework or projects, ha I am right now as im typing this. You’re completely right about music blocking out noises. I’m the second oldest of 8 kids so it’s really noisy sometimes and it helps me a lot. I’m just telling anyone who reads this, Elona is 100% correct on this. Thanks.

23. Elona Hartjes on January 22nd, 2008 8:26 pm

Megan,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. All I can say is spread the word. People aren’t aware of the power of listening to music. Good luck with your project. :)

24. Misty on January 28th, 2008 8:05 pm

There is a group of us doing a paper on music in the class room for an inroduction to psycology class and we were wondering if we could us some of your information?

25. Stephanie on February 22nd, 2008 10:10 pm

hello Elona,i really like this article.i’m only in junior high but i know that listening to music while doing my math work really helps me concentrate more and it helps me overall.i was researching on facts about why teachers should let their students do this and this article was the first one that came up.as i said before, i really like your work. and i was wondering if i could quote you for the essay that i’m writing.thank you soo much.
    much love,
    Stephanie Sophia.

26. Matt on February 29th, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi ive been trying to get my teacher to allow me to listen to music in class but she says i dont have good reaserch. can u help me?

27. Elona Hartjes on March 1st, 2008 5:16 am

Matt,
    The only research I have is what I put in my article. Perhaps you could use the arguments in my post and in the comments others have left. Hope that helps.

28. Wesley on March 10th, 2008 4:51 pm

Well to me I feel that listening to music can help with creativity. Sense I like to draw I would find my self listening to rap music to help me out with my creative thinking, so music can help you with work and ect.

29. Elona Hartjes on March 10th, 2008 7:19 pm

Wesley,
    Thanks for sharing your experience re music and creativity.

30. Navil V. on March 12th, 2008 10:04 pm

As a student I think its a great idea to listen to music while doing classwork or any kind of work! Music helps me concentrate more on what I’m doing! The students that i have discussed this with have also thought the same!

If you have any web sites that have facts about how listening to music helps us students concentrate better please email me! i am doing a research project on this subject!

Thank you! :]

31. Stephanie on March 13th, 2008 4:01 pm

Hey this website is alwsome because i need to do a persuasive essay for school and this i just what i need

32. Elona Hartjes on March 13th, 2008 4:26 pm

Stephanie,
    I’m glad I could help.

33. Donna on March 16th, 2008 8:34 pm

I’m a music teacher so of course I’m ecstactic about advocating the use of music in the classroom. (And of course, I’m secretly hoping that everyone is using quality music.) I’m also one of those people that can’t listen to music while studying – too distracting especially if lyrics are involved but still distracting if it’s instrumental music. I find myself listening rather than doing what I should be doing. (I know of other musicians who have the same problem.) I have however heard of a couple of studies where it was found that students (especially those non-musicians) concentrate best to classical music that is in 4/4 meter, i.e. 4 beats to a measure. A classroom teacher with whom I once taught swore by it. So, put on some Mozart and start the brain waves going. Hope that can help someone!

34. Elona Hartjes on March 17th, 2008 4:59 am

Donna,
    Thanks for sharing your experience and the info about classical music. That’s good to know.

35. jillin on March 24th, 2008 6:41 pm

omg thanks so much you are a life save because i am writing a paper and this is the the peice of thing that i have been looking for thak you so much and kepp up with the good work and hope your teaching gose great

sincerle jillin fellow beliver

36. kap on April 13th, 2008 1:24 pm

hey elona,
    i am writing an essay on how listening to music while doing hw helps kids be more productive. I need to hve quotes in each of my paragraphs, so i was wondering if it would be okay if i quote you.

Thx!!

-kap

37. Elona Hartjes on April 13th, 2008 2:38 pm

Sure-quote me. Glad I could help. My most recent post, yesterday actually has more info so if you haven’t seen it check it out.

38. kap on April 13th, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for all your help!!!!

39. Rebeca on April 17th, 2008 8:45 pm

Thank you for writing t his article. my mom always makes me turn off my music because she thinks it is distracting me from my homework. In actuality it helps me focus. she would never believe me when i told her that for some people, listening to music actually helps them. this article helped me to prove my point. thanks!:):)

40. baird on April 21st, 2008 11:11 pm

I have always found that listening to music helps me focus on my work. I LOVE music. I’m even listening to music right now. =] I’m writing an article for my magazine for my English class. As an 8th grader in a school where electronics are no longer allowed in class, my peers and I are always trying to persuade our teachers to let us listen to our MP3 Players, but since they dont want to get in trouble, they wont let us. My science teacher will turn on the radio, but this girl always turns it to country and I’m not a very big fan of country, so it makes it REALLY hard to concentrate. I find that I agree with this article. I was also wondering if I could use some quotes for my article? that would be GREAT.

41. vanessa on May 15th, 2008 12:09 pm

thank you for all the help i needed on my essay elona! your surveys really helped me out! and your site was helpfull.

bob

42. charda marie on May 21st, 2008 7:59 pm

elona

Im a junior in high school and i am doin a research paper on how music affects the way people act live learn and express their emotions and ur article helps me alot and me being a dancer i listen to music all the time especially when preparing 4 a concert like im doin now. music is my escape, it takes me to a place of meditation and focus. and when i am focus i become driven and when that happen there is nothing that can stop me from finishing a task i was thinking of taking this issue to my school board to have our no electronics rule to help future students do better. thanks 4 all ur help and i will keep you posted on my results of the school board.

THANKS BIG
    CHARDA

43. Elona Hartjes on May 22nd, 2008 7:18 am

Charda,
    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m glad my post and the coments people have made have been useful.

I’m pleased to hear that listening to music helps you be more productive. That’s great, and good for you for advocating for music in the classrom. Let me know how things go. Get other people to support you as well when you talk to the powers-that-be. Good luck.

44. asharnanae on June 11th, 2008 4:53 pm

Hello Elona,

I am a trainee art teacher, and for my final research project I am investigating just this! if you could give me any pointers on possible areas to look for research I would be forever grateful.

I would just like to add as well, that I have always had music played in art lessons I attended, from lower school right through to degree. It would seem very strange for me not to have music on whilst doing artwork. And in a personal note, I am dyslexic and find that in order to be able to write an essay, I have to choose a single song or very short playlist which constantly repeats. The repetition subconsciously stops my mind from wandering, and gives my writing better flow.

I play music in all my art lessons, but the school does not allow MP3 players except in the art exam, when they are mandatory! 10 or 15 of silence makes for a noise craving.

I have found that my students always work better when music is playing, and when asked they all respond positively for having music played whist working.

Now I have found that my students have a leaning towards rock/pop/dance/mainstream rnb & rap and some alternative and folk, music. as long as they have a good mixture, they are happy. oddly enough, Guns and Roses and The Who are favorites of all the years I teach.

They also far prefer music with lyrics in! which could be to do with the very visual/kinesthetic ways in which they are working normally in there art lessons. it acts as a counter point to occupy the part of the brain they are not using.

well, ok after the novel, I shall sign off.

ash.

45. Elona Hartjes on June 11th, 2008 9:18 pm

Ash,
    Thanks for sharing your personal experience, especially about how useful you yourself find listening to music is to help your maintain your concentration.

As for research, go back to this article and you’ll notice I’ve put an update with a link to research.

Hope that helps.

46. maria on July 2nd, 2008 11:45 pm

I am going to start a special school room in August. I would like some tips how to start the day as I have students from age 7 to 30, numbering about eight students. The IEP will be prepared later but for a start pls help me as I found your site very exciting, using creative things to bring about the best in such children.
    I will be grateful to you if you could help me out here as I have to handle everything alone this year.

Maria

47. Elona Hartjes on July 3rd, 2008 8:12 am

Maria,
    Wow, you’ve got quite a job ahead of you. I’d love to help anyway I can. Thank you for the kind words of support, bye the way. I appreciate the feedback.

I have some questions though. You mentioned IEPs so I assume some type of special education support is needed. Could you give me some more details about your students. Email me the details so I can get a better picture of what the students needs are. Then I’ll be able to give you some useful suggestions.

48. E on October 14th, 2008 9:01 pm

I’m an 8th grade student also doing an persuasive essay for my class. I’ve found your information helpful, but do you have other websites or articles that would also support this argument?
    Thanks!
    E

49. Elona Hartjes on October 15th, 2008 2:08 am
  50. E on October 15th, 2008 7:01 pm

Thank you.

51. Grace on November 8th, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi, my name is Grace, and I would love to ask you a few questions. I am doing a required senior research project. My topic is “why musical devices should be allowed in school.” And it’s very difficult to find information i need, as well as teachers that support musical devices in school. So, please contact me as soon as you can. starchild8704@yahoo.com

52. KayJane on December 2nd, 2008 11:38 am

Wow this is really great to find. I’m doing an assigment kind of like Alex all about cellphones and music in schools. Kinda funny, I’m currently listening to music and I think I’ve got about 9 pages of info with 3 pages of work compared to yesterday. I have an I.E.P. and would seriously love it if more teachers were accepting of music cause it really can get you going. So weird to hear a teacher like yourself to have such views. Keep up spreadin’ the good word~!lol

53. charlotte on December 10th, 2008 5:08 am

i disagree students should be allowed to listen to music in class as it helps them get along.

54. Dawn on December 10th, 2008 3:42 pm

I work with students who have IEP’S (individual educational plans). These students need away to block out the distractions in the classroom. Students are aloud to listen to their private music during individual work time. No, they do not listen to it If I am talking. In my Behavioral classes, I use Mozart’s Effect music in the background as a sort of white sound. I have found that behavioral issues have lowered 40% and grade averages have increases anywhere from 10% to 30%. I myself work best to music.

55. Elona Hartjes on December 10th, 2008 5:10 pm

Dawn,
    Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I’m going to try the Mozart Effect music with my “lively” classes.

56. autism109201 on December 10th, 2008 6:57 pm

Hello~
    I am testing to see if listening to music while working makes any difference as a science fair project, and part of this project involves writing a report that does not include my own results. I was searching for some sites to make sure that I could find sources and your blog was the top hit. Thank you very much~ this is very helpful!~

57. Katie on December 13th, 2008 7:39 am

I am so glad to find your article. I am using music as a learing tool in the alternative school setting, but not sure if I am doing the right thing. Any educational method cannot be perfect, but in my case, if students find their favorate way of learning, and it is listening to music, go for it! we live in a media/tech age and kids are different from those decades ago. They just learn differently. Maybe hiphop/rock and roll would work!

58. Casey on December 15th, 2008 10:12 pm

Thank goodness that I found this. I have an assignment to write a persuasive essay to change one of our school rules. I want to allow Ipods and cell phones during class and at lunch. I couldn’t find anything until now so thankyou! It’s good to have some real teachers on my side on this.

59. Nathaniel on February 19th, 2009 7:18 pm

Hello. I would like to use you site/blog/article as a resorce. My friend has gotten suspended for listining to music inbetween classes. I intend to make an argument with the Dean or failing that the Board of Education. I would apreciate to have your help greatly.

60. Ryan on April 19th, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks for the article. I too am working on a paper for a research class toward my master’s degree (last class!!!!!!). If it is okay I would also like to quote you and use some of your research links for my paper. Thanks for looking into something I have been advocating for years. Today’s digital natives are indeed used to dealing with distractions. I doubt more than 10% do homework with no noise on if it is even that high. Why wouldn’t we as teachers try to simulate the same environment to help them become more productive in the classroom?

61. Elona Hartjes on April 20th, 2009 8:27 am

Ryan,
    Last class. Good for you. Please feel free to quote me. Glad you found something useful.

62. alex on May 3rd, 2009 7:54 pm

My name is also alex, I’m also doing a paper on music and its effects on students, and also wondering; can i quote you in my paper?

63. Freddy on May 20th, 2009 11:41 pm

I am doing a science fair project and this website has helped me the most out of all of them.
    -Thanks

64. Carrie on June 15th, 2009 6:34 pm

Thank you so much for the article. I’m a 7th grade math teacher and I’m working on a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction. My action research is on music in the math classroom and how it helps ALL students (IEP, behavioral, GT, ELA, etc.). Do you have any other cites or suggestions?
    –Thank you, Carrie

65. Elona Hartjes on June 15th, 2009 8:14 pm

Carrie,
    Check this post I wrote about research on music in the classroom

It might help

66. Debbie on June 29th, 2009 10:55 am

Elona
    I teach 2nd grade and play music in my classroom a lot. I would love to do it ALL the time, but find some students sing and bother others. Are your students older? Do you have any ideas on how to avoid this conflict? I wholeheartedly agree with all you’ve said in your articles and want this to work. I’m nervous about having them bring their own music device and possibly losing it, or for those who don’t have one. What do you suggest??
    Thank you so much for your response!

67. Elona Hartjes on July 1st, 2009 12:15 pm

Debbie,
    I don’t really know what to say. You don’t want music to be distraction. I know what you mean. I had a few grade 9 students who sang along to the music.

I’m not sure about having grade 2 kids bring in their own MP3 players either. Could you have a centre where kids could take turns listening to music with headphones while they work? You could set something up. As for the equipment, money’s always a problem, maybe some people would donate older MP3 players for the kid to listen to with headphones. Sorry, I can’t be more help.

68. Juliette on November 3rd, 2009 11:41 pm

Hello Elona, I was wondering of I could quote you, my jr high school does not allow any iPod or mp3′s on during the day and I would like to change that! Thank you.

-Juliette :D

69. pastor james on December 29th, 2009 11:41 am

please i need a music teacher, any music teacher should please get back to em here. Thanks and i will await your urgent response. Merry xmas

70. Neil Barembaum on January 11th, 2010 6:46 pm

One of my students found your work when I challenged him to find research to support his idea that music in the classroom is beneficial. So I was interested in your research. It is too bad the Reit and Chiodo work is no longer available (though it does specifically refer to ADHD). I found the pieces by Jackson and Brewer interesting in that they use music to facilitate learning by manipulating the mood and feelings of the students. As such, it would be counterproductive to allow the students to choose their music. They are choreographing their lessons and adding music to them much as a movie composer creates music to enhance the movie. But a movie composer would never instruct the audience to get out their iPods and play whatever music they want when the movie was playing.

I also want to point out that Jackson cautions against playing music during the lesson as it might create a “dual task paradigm” where students end up trying to do two things at once (listen to music and paying attention to the music) doing neither well. There is research that this would also occur if you are listening to music while doing homework.

Finally, I want to take issue with the study that you provide at the beginning of this post. And that is that the results represent a survey. This is what people perceive as the result of listing to music. This is not a scientific study where half of a group listens to music, and the other half doesn’t and the first half is more productive. Like students, I believe these people say they are more productive because they feel more productive. No one argues that working with music is not more pleasant, but that does not necessarily indicate that more work is being done or that more substantial learning occurs. Just because I enjoy it more doesn’t mean I am learning more.

I agree with my students that in an environment where there are distractions (I teach high school, so I always use “the loud little brother” as an example), listening to music might help. But I contend it would be better to be able to work in a quiet environment, if possible.

Nevertheless, the student was showing me your post to prove that listening to music DURING THE LESSON and during independent work was desirable. I know you covered this in your guideline 3. But I think it is important to make the clear at the beginning of each post where you discuss using music to enhance learning. There are a number of comments by students who may not pick up something at the end of the blog if they see the beginning and figure you are saying they can play music during their lessons.

71. Elona Hartjes on January 11th, 2010 7:13 pm

Neil,
    You are absolutely right. More scientific research needs to be done about the effects of listening to music in the classroom.

I have added a comment about not advocating listening to music during the lesson or during the class discussions. Thanks for suggesting that.

Having said that, just let me say that from my observations in the classroom, my students do seem more productive. Not all students choose to listen to music. I give them that choice.

The other thing I like about having students listen to music is that when they are listening to music and working, they are not disturbing other students. That’s a big plus as far as I’m concerned given that I teach reluctant/struggling students who are at risk academically.

I monitor my students. If it looks like listening to music cuts down on their productivity, they don’t get to listen to music. That happens from time to time.

I’m beginning to think perhaps I should do my own scientific research as part of my MEd. program. Maybe I will.

72. Asad on January 25th, 2010 9:52 pm

hey im doing an essay on if students should be allowed to listen to music while studying. i was wondering if i could qoute you. it would help alot if i could.

73. Debra on February 8th, 2010 12:26 pm

I`m doing a essay in english about students listening to music in class, and was looking for resorces when I ran across your entry may I quiote you? It would help me out a lot

74. Sarah Bauer on February 8th, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi Elona!
    I’m writing a research paper on how music in the classroom effects kids learning and i came across this article. I agree with everything you’ve said, its helped alot! Im a ninth grade student, I have a study hall with several upper class man and alot of very chatty people. Luckily our study hall teacher allows ipods, though its against school rules. Its help me get alot of work done!! I get distracted easily, and by listening to music it blocks out distractions, as you’ve said. Some people would argue that it prevents students from retaining information, the opposite is true for me. Another benefit is it prevents people from talking instead of getting work done. But not everyone can handle the freedom of listening to music while working.
    THANKS!

75. Sarah Bauer on February 8th, 2010 11:19 pm

i would also like to add that i am a very musical person. I play clarinet, violin, and some piano and i find that classical music can be more distracting for me than lyrical music that I’ve heard before. But everyone is different, some people believe that music helps— thats why the school should not restrict it. They should leave it up to the teachers and allow it in study halls. and for those that don’t like having ipods- cool its totally your choice no one will force you to listen to it. Again thnx Elona for taking your time to make this site- you are inspiring changes in schools– who knows.. could change our future!! :)

76. Elona Hartjes on February 8th, 2010 11:59 pm

Your most welcome Sarah.

77. Nick on February 18th, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey, i just want to let you know that i am quite pleased with this post, and its going to help me out in my English 11 Essay, I must say you brought up some good points, *thumbs up*

78. Jacey on March 1st, 2010 10:51 am

Hey,I’m a senior in high school and working on a persuasive speech.Your blog is very helpful(and I’m very glad my school hasn’t blocked it yet since they seem to block EVERYTHING!)
    Up until my junior year I was attending the regular high school where if a teacher saw any form of music player,they would take it away.But then I started going to an alternative school where my teachers are completely fine with letting us listen to music,my test scores have gone WAY UP!
    I love finding new teachers that think music is good for some students. :)

79. sally on March 3rd, 2010 3:33 am

yah its right music can influenced us..
    like me as student i like to listened music specifically my favorite songs…

80. kontan on March 6th, 2010 10:21 am

OK, something else that I seem to be doing right. Now if I can just get them to stop talking over me when I am trying to teach.
    .-= kontan´s last blog ..Poor planning =-.

81. Megan Huntley on March 8th, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi I’m a sophomore in High School and I am doing a persuasive essay on being able to listen to music at certain times in school. I was wondering if I could quote you because your website has helped me to an extreme extent, and I would really appreciate if you would allow me to quote you.

Thanks a bunch.
    Megan Huntley
    Lubec High School Sophomore. :)
    .-= Megan Huntley´s last blog ..Sometimes motivating students is as easy as asking a question. =-.

82. Megan Huntley on March 11th, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks a bunch.
    Megan Huntley
    Lubec High School Sophomore.

83. kelsey on April 6th, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello, Im a sophomore in high school too, and we are doing a persuasive essay on useing music players during the day too. I was wondering if I could quote you a little. because I think that most people do get thier work done alot more if they use music.

Thanks,
    Kelsey

84. Elona Hartjes on April 7th, 2010 7:04 pm

Kelsey,
    Yes, by all means. Go ahead and quote me. Good luck on your essay.
    Elona

85. Anthony Redden on April 7th, 2010 8:56 pm

Hello, I’m a sophmore in highschool as well and am currently writing a request to the principal of the school where I attend currently concerning the use of music playing devices at certain times. I was wondering if I could use your blog as a reference to validate my argument.

Anthony Redden

86. Morgan Isaacson on April 13th, 2010 6:41 pm

Hello,
    My name is morgan i am a freshman at a high school in california, and in my English 1 CP class we are chossing topics for a pursuasive essay, and today i showed my tacher my options and letting students be able to listin to thier music devices in class to consentrate more n she bassicly laughed and argued at the fact that there is no statics that supports my side and im hoping ur information will help.. because so far what i have read has been the perfect thing to show her…

87. Jake bryan on April 15th, 2010 10:31 am

I live in Setuake, my junior high school Paul J.Gelinas and other schools in the district should let us bring in ipods for music. It would help every body in the distrect. My teachers always play music but country.I am in 9th grade and it is boring. I need rock music to get me motavaited to work so less talk more work it would also be monitored by the deans and teachers in the school. If caught you would get sent to the deans but they are too afraid. If music does not help parents will get angry.

88. GB on April 17th, 2010 9:36 pm

WHAT ABOUT THIS STUDY?

Health Guidance – Free Health Articles – http://www.healthguidance.org
    Will Background Music Improve Your Concentration?
    Mack LeMouse
    Copyrighted material; do not reprint without permission.

By Mack LeMouse
    Published on 09/22/2009

89. Elona Hartjes on April 22nd, 2010 8:44 pm

GB, Thanks for the link to this study. I’m going to comment on the article in a post.

90. Michele on April 25th, 2010 11:45 am

I started off this school year being able to let the students use their ipods(MP3 players) during assessments and individual student work. Then it was taken away because I had other teachers complain that I was breaking policy. So I went through the proper channels and got it into put into the student handbook – allowing students to listen to music at the teachers discretion. YEAH – for the students.

91. Elona Hartjes on April 29th, 2010 9:45 pm

Michele,
    Good for you.

92. Aaron on May 18th, 2010 9:21 am

music helps you work. it enhances your learning ability!

93. Ernesto on May 20th, 2010 4:20 pm

hey, I’m writing a persuasive piece listening to music while working, and I found your words most similar to my way to thinking. Thnx 4 making things clear!

~Ernesto
    .-= Ernesto´s last blog ..The motivating power of authentic assignments. =-.

94. Ernesto on May 20th, 2010 4:23 pm

i didn’t mean to add the blog part..i don’t know how that added in. sorry.

95. Dance to the Music | BetterDayMovement on June 21st, 2010 6:18 pm

[...] Health Benefits of Listening to Music Listening to Music Helps Students Be More Productive In the Classroom Music – What Are You Listening To? Posted in Change, Unconscious Mind | Tags: Change, [...]

96. RL Maiden on September 10th, 2010 4:53 am

As a ‘guest’ teacher, I have found that setting up a classroom policy (where none is posted nor included in lesson plans) is an invaluable teaching tool. By setting up clear expectations of behavior beforehand and reinforcing purpose, I have found that my students are more on task and motivated.

The purpose? They’re there to learn. I allow them to listen to their personal music as long as: No one is lecturing nor presenting, in other words, during silent seat work only. No one but the individual should be able to hear the music. They may not touch nor play with their device during class–they are to put the ear buds in their ears, turn it on and get to work. If they are playing with it, it is a distraction. Failure to comply results in them losing the privilege.

I use this policy on middle-schoolers on up. I place the responsibility for following rules and being active learners upon them. I find that, when I am able to implement this policy, others often comment upon the quiet industriousness of my class when they are doing quiet seat work (even though there may be no music players being used in the class room) and upon their focus and attentiveness when I am direct teaching. They usually rise to meet my expectations.

Recently, I was told by an administrator that “middle school students are not capable of distinguishing when it is and isn’t appropriate to listen to their ipods.” I’ve found that to be a fallacy when clear guidelines are given and a tad disrespectful of the students. She also felt that allowing them to listen to music took the focus off of their educational purpose.

We do, in class, discuss purpose (learning), as well as the fact that not all students’ learning is enhanced by listening to music, some are distracted, and part of their job as students is to discover what works for them (as well as what doesn’t) and to use that knowledge to their own benefit. It seems to work. Others often comment they work even harder for me.

97. irvin padilla on October 25th, 2010 10:14 pm

Dear Elona Hartjes i am a student in high school and i have ADHD and i have some teachers that allow me to listen to music during class. well when they say is okay when to listen to it anyways when i listen to music i totaly ignore the outside world and i focouse on my work. i only wished that teachers around the states allowed us to listen to music it might help sutends on there quiz scores or even aims testing but no one ever listens to one person. i support you for allowing students to listen to music.

sencerly
    Irvin Padilla

98. Erica on October 29th, 2010 8:23 am

Elona Hartjes,
    I’m in seventh grade and working on a science fair. Your artical has helped me and I would like to know more. If you could email me in responce I would love to get some more information. Thanks!
    Erica

99. Orrion on October 29th, 2010 11:50 am

listening to music in class helps kids relax and gets rid of stress and cuts them off from other kids so they dont get off task with the people and sounds and objects around them
    Orrion´s last blog post ..What do my students want from me anyway

100. rachael c on November 29th, 2010 9:44 am

Hello Elona-
    Im writing a research paper on the effects and pros/cons of playing music in the classrooms of highschool students.
    I was wondering if I may quote you in my paper?
    Ive read your articles and found them helpful!
    -Rachael

101. Ariana Mangual on January 7th, 2011 12:21 pm

I read some of your posts and i have to say i aggree fully to listenting music in the class room, I know it helps alot because I myself am a “distractable” child. If I don’t listen to music while I’m taking a test or doing independent work I hear everything that goes on in the class room,I intend to show this to all my teachers just so they can see where I’m coming from and hopefully this will help them lighten up a little bit about the “no music in the class room” rule.

Thanks,
    Ariana

102. Katie Lewis on January 12th, 2011 6:53 pm

Thank you so much! I was doing a pursuasive essay on why or why not to listen to iPods(or any other electronical device). This article helped a bunch and me and my partner got to give our essay to the principal. She reviewed it and now our whole 8th grade class gets iPods. Thanks again for sharing this information:)

-Katie-

103. Lorena on January 17th, 2011 11:28 pm

Personally as a freshman in high school, I can’t listen to the music on my iPod while I do school work. However, I love listening to the local classical musical station. I work better when the music is non-lyrical, but otherwise I can’t concentrate.

104. Dulitha NA on January 24th, 2011 1:13 am

I was searching for a article like this,i am really impressed..I have this problem,i cant normally concentrate on studies while i am listening to music.. .but in the mornings and evening ,after my studies i listen to music, that is almost 2 hrs a day… Is that good? I feel like im addicted because when i dont listen to music i cnt concentrate on my studies.. ..i feel like this is really bad ..i have been listening to songs since i was 13, now im 17 ,. At the start it was all enjoying to listen to music but now need to because im addicted.. . .

Please reply,its always a blessing to hear from a teacher…thank you , and please email me if you can Elona,it would really be very helpful!

105. Morris on January 26th, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Elona,
    Im a middle school student who needs to do a persuasive essay for a class, so i would like to to qoute u in my essay. Is that ok? I perfectly agree with u. when u listen to music, it like ur own little word and u can focus better.
    Thx for this awesome post! :)

106. Kelsey Armour on February 11th, 2011 12:56 pm

Dear Elona
    i am a high school student, working on a speech for my english class, and i have picked the topic you are writing about. only the kids im with are not disabled or have ADHA, so i was wondering if you could help me. so far i have some ideas because of what i have read and i am also making up my own data, by 4 questions and asking others what they think. so far my servey is going great and the results are positive.
    i am realizing though that with the ipod touch and the iphone, they have games and other distractions that would have consiquences to allowing the ipods in the class. so some of the guidlines you have provided will work, but we will need tight strings on the ipods, being able to have them, on the desk and for kids to touch them only when changing a song, having them so no one else can hear what you are listening to, that way when the teacher wants everyones attention, she doesnt have to yell or take the head phones out of everyone ears :P so far these are all the rules i can think of.
    at some point i would like to quote you, saying that even though you teach disablied or ADHD students, we should be able to do the same thing with even better results. (not trying to offend)

would love to hear your thoughts :) email me when you can, if you are interested. maybe my speech could change the policy hear at my school :)

-Kelsey

107. Music Aids Concentration | Music and the Human Brain on March 28th, 2011 11:16 am

[...] Hartjes, a certified teacher from Ontario and writer of “Listening to Music Helps Students Be More Productive in The Classroom“, would say otherwise. After reading a poll that says 79 percent of workers say that humming [...]

108. Jackie williams on April 11th, 2011 8:29 am

Hello ,
    i agree with students being more productive in class with their ipods , Mp3′s ect. i think they should make this available in ALL local schools , Music is a good part in life. I think during learning they should turn it into a song so students could be more interested. just my opinion.

109. corrine on April 12th, 2011 7:41 am

i am a student at North Kingstown high school and iam doing a speech on music and the effect it has on students.
    But i’m not just talking about listening to music here
    iam also talking about playingmusic
    help?

110. teachermum on April 14th, 2011 12:29 am

Hi Elona
    I am trying to get our IT department to install a “music station” for kids to work at to aid distraction. My trial will be in a year 4 classroom.
    I was wondering if you find student earphones – like the regular ones everyone uses – are effective enough in minimilising distractions, or if students need proper earphones that look like earmuffs.

Any experience with the difference?
    teachermum´s last blog post ..Flashcard Favourites

111. Elona Hartjes on April 16th, 2011 12:46 pm

I just let the kids use their ear buds. I used to supply headphones but they just kept disappearing so now I figure kids are on their own. If the kids have music turned up too loud and some sound leaks out, I ask them to turn it down. No problem.

112. Elona Hartjes on April 16th, 2011 12:48 pm

I have thought of the sound cancelling ear phones but they are too expensive to keep disappearing.

113. nick on April 19th, 2011 12:50 pm

listening to music in every class help me a lot this is 100% corret

114. reggie on April 21st, 2011 11:51 am

hi nick i think your right

115. reggie on April 21st, 2011 11:52 am

music is helpful sup

116. julian32 on April 21st, 2011 1:56 pm

ithink listening to music helps a whole lot while your doing your classwork. It helps me concentrate and zero out all the other noises or peolpe tlking in class.
    V.SANTA PAULA WESTSIDE CRAZYBOYZ GANG

117. teachermum on April 24th, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Elona
    I only just saw your replies to me. They are very helpful – thanks for your advice.

Have not seen a recent blogpost from you – hope one appears soon as I really do enjoy reading them.
    teachermum´s last blog post ..The Truth About Origami

118. Lisset R. on June 2nd, 2011 5:06 pm

Im A 6th Grader At Hazelbrookk Middile SKool In Oregon . Im Doing A Persuasivee Writinng For Science ABouut Listening 2 Musikk , & Thiss Info Helpedd mee A LOT ! Thaankk Youu !

119. Helen on June 7th, 2011 4:55 pm

Thank You so much for posting this article. my parents always flip when listen to music and do my homework at the same time. know-it-all’s hope this article will win thm over. Thanks.

120. Amy on September 22nd, 2011 4:54 pm

Im a middle school student and my teachers all agree but my principal thinks that listening to music causes students to not pay attention in class. My friends and I decided to do our Current Events on your article to get her to change her mind.
    I like the points you make in this article. I am the kind of student who needs music to concentrate on their work so this really will help me change mmy principals mind. I was actually I was listening to music while reading this article!

121. Jennifer McFarland on September 28th, 2011 12:45 pm

Hey,
    I am a junior in a small town class. my class is about fifteen kids. We are also banned from music. Our class has made a constitution and was trying to get the rule changed. We are currently in the process of writing arguements to present to the school board. I saw your page and just loved it!! I know you probably hear this a lot and seeing it im for sure, but can i use some of your stuff in my areguement? It woulod help me out a lot!! My other question is that how can you get a group of kidsto choose songs everyone likes?

122. Michael Olesko on September 29th, 2011 7:30 am

I’m a high school science teacher in Ft. Lauderdale, fl USA.I have certain students who insist on breaking the rules to listen to their Ipods during class. It is insulting to me to have earbuds in the ears while I spend hours preparing the necessary lessons and labs.I’ve also found that those who do this as a whole do not hand in their work on time or do not do as well as other students. I realize this is not scientific but it is my experience. I’m so glad I am in a classroom that cannot receive telephone signals.

123. little tatch on October 11th, 2011 11:21 am

i am so greatful that this is here I have to do a counter argument at school as an assessment and this has really helped what I want to do it for.

i just want to add that I can only concentrate in certain subjects while i’m listening to music. where as my sister who is doing her A- levels finds it to concentrate without her ipod in. out of the two of us she is definately the musical one so i don’t think that makes a difference. She also has never had a late homework and in her GCSE’s she studied while listening to her music and she didn’ get any lower than a C.
    I don’t think that music makes a difference to that but just the person. if they break the rules anyway maybe they are just that type of person. by the way I am only 13 so it doesn’t mean i know much about this sort of thing.

124. madi on October 26th, 2011 9:06 am

hi im actully doing a project on how does listing to music whail doing homework effect your score any advice?

125. Makenna on October 27th, 2011 8:09 pm

I’m a 7th grader, and I completely agree! Students will feel that they are being given something, so they will be studious in return as long as they get to keep doing it. :) My P.e. teacher does this when we run the mile, so we can focus on it instead of wanting to stop.

126. Elona Hartjes on October 30th, 2011 7:04 pm

Yes, some students will feel that they are being given something and will stay on task and work harder, but some unfortunately won’t. It is an individual thing- like so many things in learning.

127. Makayla on November 14th, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi, thanks for putting this up. It realy,really helped on my classwork!

128. riju samuel on November 20th, 2011 12:54 am

yes i like this article.as far as my concern music help me to concentrate more on studying

129. john doe on November 25th, 2011 6:31 pm

i have to write a 3-5 min speech about this topic and this article really helped

–thank you

130. robert on December 2nd, 2011 1:47 pm

hey elona, im in middle school writing a report about how music should be allowed in school and i was wondering if i can use any information in ur blog? if so it would help alot

131. Music in the classroom: help or hinderance? : The Round Table on December 5th, 2011 10:24 am

[...] Hartjes, an Ontario Certified Teacher wrote an article about allowing her students to listen to music in [...]

132. Sami on December 6th, 2011 12:31 pm

totaly agree with this :)…but the admin at my school didnt :(

133. Miss B on January 7th, 2012 12:24 pm

I am doing my student teaching and have read so much on music and the classroom. I am also a cert hynotherapist so I had already my own experience with how the brain works with music. I have seen music be very helpful and I have seen it be such a hinderance, especially when the teacher plays old music he/she likes or music that has a negative message, even as seemingly harmless as Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison. There is so much actual brain food out there if you choose to play classroom music but all of the kids have music in their backpacks….and allowing them to use it not only helps them stay focused and quiet in class, its familiar to them. There will be time for “new” music and there are excellent choices for such.

134. karrie parker on January 9th, 2012 2:31 pm

okay, i think this is right i dont do goood in school b/c i cant constentrate (how ever you spell that word) and when i go home i get my mp3 and i pass my homework hummmm thats strange isnt it????? NO!

135. Elona Hartjes on January 9th, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to tell me your experience about listening to music and concentrating. Perhaps yu can get your teachers to let you listen to music when you are doing your seat work in class. I let my students listen then but not when I’m teaching or their are group discussions. Maybe you could get a parent to support you about this and talk to teachers. You never know until you try. Good luck.

136. karrie parker on January 9th, 2012 5:07 pm

thanks you have been a good help.

137. brandon on January 11th, 2012 11:34 am

i think music is a good thing for students

138. Christina Lucero on January 13th, 2012 11:10 am

I think it does help with a students performance if they listen to music during class .

139. mariah rosales on January 18th, 2012 2:00 pm

i think students should be able to listen to music while class is happening because they have no distractions to talk to others, they concentrate more on their work, and they’re more productive

140. Jessi on January 25th, 2012 3:06 pm

Have there been any studies conducted by researchers to prove this theory? What websites could I visit?

141. Wai on February 1st, 2012 9:29 pm

Hey, i’m doing a research paper and decided to add include some of your information into it, I REALLY need to know when you wrote this, I promise to add the correct information which probably will only be spoken among my class mates, oh, and what other sites do you recommend for me to check out? Thanks for your help !

~Wai

142. DeAundrea on February 2nd, 2012 3:49 pm

hey , it’s a good thing i read this . Im a Freshmen in high school and we are doing a project on school rules we should change . This is something i love to write *

143. garrick on February 6th, 2012 2:17 pm

This truly is a great article, in my grade 7/8 split class i am conducting an exparament to see what different types of music effect students learning abilities and social conventions.
    I would love if I could quote you in my presentation and final report.

Thnakyou
    Garrick Phimister

144. Jessie on February 6th, 2012 7:47 pm

Well, I am a new teacher and I started in the middle of the year. I have read numerous research articles on how music benefits and promotes student learning. I have tried implementing music in my classroom, and was told today by my administrator that it would make the students hyper and that I have to stop!

145. Litsa on February 10th, 2012 1:39 am

Good morning. Music is miraculous. While I was teaching a Proficiency English class we came across an article on how in some US hospitals music is used to calm and relax a patient before surgery. I assume it all depends on the type of music applied to each case. I tried using music in my writing classes during their time to do just that, but some found it distracting. Perhaps my music wasn’t mellow enough. I have used music myself to do my homework in the past even to prepare my work or during correction. Perhaps it also depends on the individual.

146. patrick on February 21st, 2012 11:55 am

Hi, my name is Patrick and I also beleive that music should be allowed in school, because it is scientifically proven that music helps the kids concentrate and get more work done. I honestly think that we could get music allowed back in school there would be alot less referals and kids failing, and the last time i check the schools are looking for what ever is best for us and music would be very good for us students. If there is anyone who would like to help me fight this battle please contact me at 352-287-3626
    patrick´s last blog post ..Myths about teachers.

147. Colleen on February 22nd, 2012 4:17 pm

hi my name is Colleen every day at school i have alot of trouble with concentrating on one subject for too long and listening to music and maybe taking a 2 minute break helps me concentrate on that particular subject longer, I really dont know why the music just blocks everything out so I end up having no DISTRACTIONS. :)

148. Colleen on February 22nd, 2012 4:28 pm

hi colleen again i completely agree with all the other students the mu8sic helps and i also have a project so do you mind if i print this page and quote some of your words.

MUSIC SHOULD SO BE ALLOWED IN SCHOOL IF IT HELPS US STUDENTS THEN IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED :) :)
    Colleen´s last blog post ..Myths about teachers.

149. Does Music Distract Kids From Learning? | Ca Hee's Animal Blogs! on February 24th, 2012 3:56 pm

[...] music distracts kids from learning. I think it helps some people concentrate on their work. This teacher says “Music acts like white noise, some students can’t tune out things like a pencil [...]

150. Neko on February 26th, 2012 3:14 pm

LET’S GO WITH MUSIC!If you listen to a chorus or the same tone over and over a different tone will take your attention back.

151. kyle on March 7th, 2012 10:11 am

152. Haddon on March 12th, 2012 4:44 pm

Elona, i was hoping you would let em use your info

153. adele vernon on March 22nd, 2012 4:21 pm

I am an 8th grader doing a project on this topic for school & I would love to hear the opinions of more teachers and educators.

Adele

154. Avril Marshall on April 19th, 2012 8:46 am

This is a big help for the persuasive essay i am writing

155. Betsy on May 31st, 2012 9:36 am

You really need to get a grip on teaching your students how to develop a more mature work ethic and better study habits in order for them to succeed. You are making no effort to teach these students who are most in need, good study habits and techniques to develop better concentration and focus. All things digital are not the answer. Using headphones with music in school and at the office is inappropriate social behavior, and will not benefit them in the longrun.

156. Entre les branches on June 5th, 2012 10:17 am

[...] expérience avec un élève la semaine passé ma rappelé un article par Élona Hartjes du blog Teachers At [...]

157. Tharaa Krishna on September 19th, 2012 1:56 pm

What a gem! It’s too bad more people don’t know about this place, this article had
    what I needed today XD
    Tharaa Krishna´s last blog post ..Tharaa Krishna

158. Britni on September 27th, 2012 6:14 pm

I found this while looking for fresh information about the benefits of using mp3 players in the classroom because my principal and I had a disagreement on the new policy at our school. The new policy states that personal electronic devices may be used if instructionally appropriate. I explained that in my understanding of the rule, listening to music is addressing learning styles…which he did agree with, but he was concerned about the school board’s thoughts on it. The school board doesn’t teach my 36 sophomores second hour, I do, and I have found that music keeps the ones that need it on task and focused without distracting those who need silence. I too use the same guidelines you outlined.

I am just happy to find that there are others willing to fight for our students right to learn according to learning styles.

159. charles on October 5th, 2012 8:09 am

im writing a paper now about why students should listen to music in class while doing work. can you help me with some issue ?

160. veronica on October 6th, 2012 3:08 pm

hi, elona
    i am writing a research paper about how music affects your GPA, you think you can give me any ideas of how to start writing it?
    veronica´s last blog post ..Use Opendyslexic font in text and in devices to make reading easier for students with dyslexia

161. Sky on October 30th, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Elona,
    I am researching, “Does listening to music while taking a test affect performance? Does the type of music make a difference?”, for a science fair at my school. Thank you so much for this information!!! I was wondering if you know of any other sites that would help in this area. Thank you!

162. Elona Hartjes on October 31st, 2012 5:19 pm

Sky,
    Some of my students have told me they can concentrate better while listening to music, but the music needs to be really familiar music so as not to distract them. I usually suggest old favorites.

163. Research « tyrucorea on November 7th, 2012 11:16 am
  164. firelily on December 10th, 2012 11:15 am

thanks for this info. im writing a persuasive essay and your site has been very helpful. thanks again for the unintentional help.

165. Elona Hartjes on December 10th, 2012 1:08 pm

You’re welcome.

166. Me on December 14th, 2012 6:34 pm

thankyou for writting this i’m writting an arumentative essay for my Language arts class and this gives many reasons and examples

167. bearshare download on December 23rd, 2012 12:08 am

This article is truly a nice one it helps new internet viewers,
    who are wanting for writing a blog.
    bearshare download´s last blog post ..bearshare download

168. payton on January 8th, 2013 3:19 pm

i also think dermott should allow music
    payton´s last blog post ..Attention deficit trait- oh, that explains it!

169. Joe on January 22nd, 2013 10:12 am

Wow no offense but the comments where more helpful,

170. smelly ellie on March 12th, 2013 6:29 am

171. tyler robinson on March 21st, 2013 9:48 am

i am so glad other people love music with work like me thans for evrey thing. ms Elona Hartjes
    tyler robinson´s last blog post ..Do you ever feel as if you’re just a clog in the education system?

172. jaidyn k on March 26th, 2013 7:31 pm

Please tell this to my mom and my step father!!! they don’t believe me!!! :(

173. Elona Hartjes on March 29th, 2013 3:43 pm

Well, listening to music doesn’t help everyone focus. Perhaps your parents find music distracting.

174. Devon Crain on April 6th, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi, Elona.
    First off, I’d like to thank you for posting these blogs/articles. They have been immensely helpful to my essay during this nine weeks for persuasive writing. The subjectis “Why Should we be Allowed to Listen to Music in Class?”
    Anyways, I have a sort of ‘follow-up question,’ if you will. Do you think that if we as students listen to ‘straight curse’ rap (as in rap that is almost nothing but profanity), as that is what most of the younger generation listen to now-a-days, it would effect the student’s productivity?
    Thanks!
    —-Devon

175. Natalie on May 1st, 2013 2:49 pm

:D

176. Ali on December 9th, 2013 2:41 pm

I found your blog/article to be immensely helpful to me. I have a persuasive paper and I am trying to find some counter-arguments to incorporate and you posed a couple. I agree that listening to music while a teacher is giving a lesson is rude and inconsiderate and listening to music while doing a worksheet is sometimes helpful to some students. Most students prefer to listen to music while working. I know that I do!

177. Elona Hartjes on December 9th, 2013 5:36 pm

Ali,
    I’m delighted I could help with your paper. Good luck.