cpi3f8.jpg

Welcome to today’s podcast- Some teachers are bullies.

• Theme music- 3 feet up- Podsafe Music Network
  • Introduction
  • Date of Podcast- April 2007
  • Shoutouts- Laurie, Frank, Geri, Jason
  • Show note etiquette- Podcasting for Dummies Lisa Hartjes Chris Hartjes
  • Reasons why teachers resort to bullying
  • How bullying affects the teachers who bully
  • How bullying affects the students who get bullied
  • How bullying affects the the school environment
  • What needs to be done to stop the bullying
  • Conclusion
  • Next topic
  • Theme music

Update

I f you listen to this post as a podcast you’ll hear me say that I found out that there is such a thing as show note etiquette that states that you do not post a transcript of your podcast in the show notes. Well, I’ve been thinking about that and have decided that yes it may be rude to post the transcript in the show notes, but it is good pedagogy to do so. Some people are visual learners and prefer to read the post for themselves. Some people will prefer to listen to it. A good teacher will present the information so that students can hear it, see it and do something with it . So, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll opt to continue to be a good teacher and post the transcript. so if you want to read it, click on the link below.

Some teachers are bullies too

Comments

9 Responses to “Some teachers are bullies too”

1. Jill Lezotte on February 26th, 2008 12:42 pm

thanks for the great articles. Are there any court cases where a teacher has harassed and bullied a student? I would really be interested. It is happening to my granddaughter by a teacher. It is affecting her self esteem. She is an A student, talented musically, has won writing awards since she was very young.

Jill

2. Elona Hartjes on February 26th, 2008 5:22 pm

Jill,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I’m not sure about any court cases with teachers. I haven’t heard of any, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been.

3. Julia on May 2nd, 2008 8:29 am

Thank you for giving this podcast on a very sensitive topic. My child has been bullied by more than one teacher at our school — name calling, humiliation as punishment, etc. He’s had a teacher tell him straight out that he’s a bully, but no one has ever offered him help. He will tell you (he’s in elementary school) that he feels like there’s no point in even talking to grownups at school because they never listen to him and they never believe him. Teachers will tell me that his past behaviour precludes anything he could say to defend himself. The behaviour he displays at school is the opposite of what we get anywhere else, and that includes overnight camp, piano lessons, etc. When I try to talk to our administration about this, I am either ignored or straight out told that I’m wrong. The staff has now ostracized me as a parent (I’m at the school often to volunteer), and all I’m trying to do is to show them how they have convinced my child that he is bad, and how this has to change so that we don’t lose him. Am I crossing a line here? Should I just step back and let the teachers deal with my son, and trust that what they are doing is right eventhough it feels so wrong to me? Am I being overprotective? I just think that the teachers are sending a really mixed message when they publicly humiliate and spread rumours, and then preach on and on to the kids about anti-bullying. And if they truly think that a child is a bully, then shouldn’t they be doing more than just labelling him, and then punishing for every small mistake he makes? Isn’t it someone’s responsiblity at the school to help my child realize that he’s worth it? It’s all very upsetting to our family.
    Thanks
    Julia

4. Laurie on May 3rd, 2008 9:18 am

I am currently dealing with a bullying teacher at our school. Our Principal is refusing to believe the kids or the parents. I can’t stand to hear the statement “I’m going to have to stand by my teacher” one more time. There has got to be more that we can do as parents to get situations like this taken care of. When the parents have spoken out about the situation, the teacher is covered by the principal, then the bullying has only increased. So in other words, we have just made what is going on in class get worse! What can we do as parents? What kind of example is this showing our kids? Verbal abuse in the classroom is unacceptable. She will even deny a child access to go to the office without telling her why, if she thinks they are going to complain about something she has done. I realize no one is perfect, and no one can say they have handled every situation correctly all the time, but this teacher has some serious issues that need to be addressed.

5. Tanya on May 6th, 2008 7:26 pm

One of my children has experienced this very badly all year from both Teacher who is has no idea how to manage her class room and has resorted to picking on kids for control. I feel she is also punishing him for my coming forth on these concerns. As well the principal who stand behind the staff…she is never there to see the issues. I understand that it must be difficult to handle the classroom and some students may be difficult I am sure mine now who is so frustrated and does not trust these adults is most likely not the perfect child but it is her job which she chose to be an example and a caring role model whom we trust to educate our children We send our children and hope they will excel in a safe and healthy environment. This is not happening what can we as parents do? As mentioned before going to them makes it worse, writing the board produces no response. I am so upset this is the first year I have these issues. The past principal was wonderful and would have NEVER allowed this to go on in his school

6. Elona Hartjes on May 6th, 2008 8:44 pm

Tanya,
    There’s lots you can do. I can’t talk in specifics but let me generalize.

Bullying is against the law, at least here in Ontario. Check it out where you live if it isn’t Ontario.

This is how I see it as a teacher on the inside advocating for parents and
    students.

If the principal is really standing by his staff and that staff member is
    bully, s/he should get the staff member help with the bullying. That’s standing by
    his staff. Any staff member who bullies needs help. Being a bully is not psychologically healthy either.

The principal is there for parents and children. He needs to stand by his
    students. Without parents and kids, the principal and teachers wouldn’t
    have a job. They are there for you! The principal should be trained to
    deal with situations like this.

Here’s what you can do.

-document all instances of bullying-that so important

-document all meetings between teachers and principals

-talk to parents and find out if this teacher has bullied other students

thats important- them you have a group- strength in numbers- go as a
    delegation with all the documentation from different kids- find a parent
    with those strengths and get organized- parents have joined together to
    effect result.

- take all the documentation and go above the principal’s head to the
    superintendent- ask for a meeting- he’s there to help you that’s what he’s
    supposed to do- he’s there for you and your child

- go to the trustee or elected official for the school board- he/she’s there
    to support you and look after your interests since the public elected
    him/her he’s there for you.

- go to parents’ council- talk to people about issues -they may have ideas
    or may have inside pull

- if students has been identified with learning disability get an LD
    support organization they can help- any advocates can attend meetings- one
    takes notice when an advocate comes to the meeting. believe me every

-get someone to be at meetings with you – someone who can support you-
    someone who isn’t intimidated by it all – remember all the officials are
    just people like you and me and they are there to serve you

-be a squeeky wheel
    - check to see if there is an anti-bully organizaton in your area and get in
    touch and get support
    -don’t give up
    -don’t give up
    -don’t give up.

I’m serious. Parents are really powerful. They just don’t know it. The
    system has to pay attention to parents.

7. SHARON MULBERRY on March 26th, 2009 10:40 am

I have endure this same type of behavior from the public school system every since my children have been in school.I have come to find out recently that the school system is gonna cover up malicious by their because it takes between 50.000 to 250.000, so they would rather fight you. currently I’m in the first district in Florida in Tallahassee because i refuse to give up, and i also have contacted The Dept. of Education in Washington. I hope that you all was successful in what you were doing, because Teacher Bullying is a Major Problem in our Public School System.

8. SHARON MULBERRY on March 26th, 2009 11:00 am

EDUCATORS: EDUCATE, BULLIES: HUMILIATE

9. paul wood on February 9th, 2014 12:05 pm

all of this is true, but now, we teachers can practically fill the internet with students who bully teachers. It happens now at un unprecedented rate. I’ve seen police files online,, they are stupendously long of kids violating teachers: threats, trash their car, slash car tires, etc. So, while we should keep each other inb line, let’s not ruin our youth. IN Canada, remember, youth fill our prisons!… bully teachers and PRINCIPALS have psychological problems and are not wanted.