[display_podcast]

I’ve had lots of feedback about the numerous articles I wrote about bullying. If you are interested in reading what I wrote earlier just go to the right hand side bar in my blog where the tags are located and click on any of the tags dealing with bullying. That will take you to the articles. There’s lots of information there about all forms of bullying- cyber-bullying, student-teacher bullying, teacher-student bullying, getting help for a bully, getting help for a victim etc. There’s really a lot of information there and much of it is based on research I did as well as my experience as a special education specialist in behaviour at the high school level.

Usually the feedback I get from the articles comes in the form of a question about what to do when your best efforts don’t work. This is really an important issue. So, today I’m going to focus on what to do to stop a teacher from bullying another teacher. First realize that no one deserves to be bullied. Period. Case closed. Now that I’ve said that here are some things you can do to stop a teacher from bullying another teacher. Even though it may seem hopeless at times, there’s lots you can do to help stop the bullying.

1. Tell the bully to stop the bullying behaviour. Sometimes people don’t realize their behaviour is bullying behaviour. For them, it’s just the way they do things. They need to know that their behaviour is not acceptable. I know that sometimes that’s easier said then done. So if you don’t feel comfortable doing that yourself on your own get support from other people. Getting support when you need it is the thing to do. Everyone needs support at some time or other for any number of things. There’s nothing wrong with getting support. Some times you give support; sometimes you need support. That’s just the way it is. Get a friend to be with you when you tell the person to stop the behaviour. The bully will give you lots of chances to do this.

2. Document the bullying behaviour. If the bullying doesn’t stop after you’ve told the person to stop, start documenting all the bullying behaviour. Include details like date, time, location, circumstances, interactions, what was said or done etc. The more information you have the better. Even if someone does things like leave anonymous phone calls, emails, or notes in your mail box, record everything. keep a copy of the emails, notes , phone calls or text messages There are ways to find out where emails and phone calls came from. This information will be invaluable at a later date.

3. Go to the administration at your school and advise them of the situation and ask for help. Take someone with you for support. The administration has an obligation, even if it’s just a moral one to stop the bullying behaviour.

4. Keep documenting the bullying behaviour. I can’t say that enough. Also document steps that were taken to try to stop the bullying behaviour. The more details the better.

5. Go to your federation or union and tell them about the bullying. Get the federation’s support. That’s what they’re there for. Talk to the representative at your school or call the local office and talk to someone there if you don’t feel comfortable talking to someone at your school. Remember, the federation is there to support you and to stop the bullying even though the bully may also be a member of the federation or union. I know that sometime it seems that the federation protects it’s members from everything, but that is simply not the case. The federation has people specifically trained to help you deal with bullying behaviour and support you emotionally during this exceedingly difficult time.

6. Talk to your federation representative if the administration at your school does not deal effectively with the bullying behaviour, and someone from the federation will meet with administration and together they can work to problem solve. Both the school boards and the federations have people who are trained to deal with the bullying issue because bullying in the work place is a common thing. The work place has to deal with it. Don’t forget the bully needs help too, not just the victim of bullying.

7. Access any employee assistance plan your school board or district might have to help get support from counselors who deal with the issue of bullying all the time. Unfortunately, bullying in the work place is more common than we like to think. Often people won’t speak up because thhey think that it’s just them. Well, it isn’t just them.

Now I want to make it clear that I am not a counselor trained in dealing with bullying issues, but my recommendations will put you in touch with people who are. They will be able to give you in depth help for dealing with all the issues that arise out of being bullied. Unfortunately, bullying is a problem at the workplace and it needs to be dealt with. I hope that my suggestions are helpful.

Here are some other articles I wrote about bullying. I hope you find them useful

Some teachers are bullies too

Some Students Bully Teachers Too

Cyber-Bullying:Relational Aggression-Part 1

911 for kids who bully

How effective are anti-bullying programs?

Fear Not- a new role playing game to help stop bullying

Bullying is a cry for help. We’d better listen.

Cyber-Bullying- Educating Kids is Better than Incarcerating them

Comments

9 Responses to “What to do to stop teachers bullying other teachers”

1. Tweets that mention What to do to stop teachers bullying other teachers : Teachers At Risk -- Topsy.com on February 16th, 2011 7:21 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by elonahartjes and elonahartjes, Connie Jensen. Connie Jensen said: Sad but serious RT“@tbowes: What to do to stop teachers bullying other teachers : Teachers At Risk http://t.co/8zWuxBk via @elonahartjes” […]

2. Brenda on June 26th, 2011 1:42 am

I have been bullied in my school for a long time…it has built up over the years. I am quiet and keep to myself so am an easy target.Speculation about my sexual orientation, my plans for the next year, and God knows what else. I am transferring out. I have had it.

3. karl liebhardt on November 26th, 2011 4:17 am

some gallows humor

Why is the infighting in academia so fierce?

Answer: Because the stakes are so low.

Actually, I believe that because some teachers often do not get enough affirmation, and are stressed; conditions promote overt or covert acts of aggression among faculty.

4. Rob on March 13th, 2012 7:28 pm

What do you do when the bullying IS the union rep for your school? I’ve been bullied by a teacher for the past month and half and am wits end!!! It makes me rethink the whole teaching profession. I know nothing is perfect, but this kind of behavior is so unacceptable in a school setting.

5. rose on March 27th, 2012 8:05 pm

Teachers seem to form little groups just like students and one of their goals is to single out teachers for criticism and ostracism. This you can survive, but when teachers start encouraging students to ostracize/criticize/bully you and the students go to the internet,you can loose your faith in your students. Administrators and the district office will not support you if you are on the top of the salary scale.

6. laurie on March 14th, 2013 4:44 pm

I have been bullied for the last year and a half in the school district of my home town. No one believes it can happen and it has now cost be my job in the district. I am devestated.

7. laurie on March 22nd, 2013 1:40 pm

Recently, I believe I am the victim of being sabotoged at work by a bully. She is the perfect bully because of her subtle ways in how she weaves her lies. I found out I am loosing my job with the district in my community that I live. I am heartbroken. My dreams are shattered because of this one person who construed situations and made believe believe things that did not really happen. I know I can fix my dreams, but this experience is not new in our community. I just don’t understand why teachers are doing this to other teachers. The whole expereince is humliliating and I feel ashamed like I am wearing the big black check mark on the back of my shirt. Everything is supposed to be confidential but people talk not matter what they are told. This is awlful.

8. Linda Novak on May 30th, 2013 5:41 pm

I was bullied by my cooperating teacher while I was a student teacher. This man made it clear in the beginning that I was there that semester because he was the union rep. (a negotiating year) and that he needed to be out of the classroom. He made it clear that I was on my own and and that I would start teaching classes the very first week. On the rare occasion that he did observe my teaching,he gave the high school students note cards with questions way beyond the scope of the course. He enjoyed a laugh at my expense when I would tell the student that I would get back to him, which I did. Every lunch period topic was reduced to sexual inuendo between him and his cronies. I soon learned why few joined their lunch table. Jokes were made about teachers who did not enjoy their humor. One exhausting day, he threw an envelope on my desk and commented, “Oh I forgot you do not get paid as you slave for free and pay for this priviledge.” I tutored students after school (my time) and kept the soccer team from ineligibility. I ran study sessions for tests (afterschool, my time). In 18 weeks there was never a late lesson plan, papers were graded, recorded and reviewed on time. I was on time, dressed appropriately and did my job without support from him. After many weeks, my college supervisor asked what was happening to the program’s number one student. Scared to complain about a department head who had recieved excellence in teaching awards many times, I finally broke down and told her of the abuse, lack of mentoring, and stress. She confirmed what I was dealing with by his comments and actions toward her. Sadly, if I withdrew, I would have to go before a college board and defend myself to be readmitted to another student teaching assignment the following year. I would also need to petition to have my tuition returned. Tens of thousands of dollars between tuition and lost job opportunities! I endured with the help of my advisor. I am a strong willed person and I am a good teacher. Three years later, I am teaching my own students and I will never be like him…he is not an excellent teacher, but a member of the old boy system.

9. Debbie Dean on February 13th, 2014 4:59 pm

A month ago a co-worker was questioned about damages to my car (on school video). When the Youth Relations Deputy (YRD)questioned my co-worker he stated to the deputy and his Sgt., “I will get a gun and fucking kill her, I don’t care if I spend the rest of my life in prison.” The guy was not arrested, district is looking into “if the guy gets to keep his job”….meanwhile, I filed for a “Temporary Injunction for Protection.”
    How come this guy was not arrested or baker acted? I’m looking for laws to protect myself. I cannot work at the same school with him……………..meanwhile, I’m still waiting, a month later, for the district to make a decision. What are my rights?