“If you don’t know where you are going. How can you expect to get there?” (Basil S. Walsh)

Setting goals is so important for future success, yet often my students don’t think to set goals, let alone smart goals. Mostly, they just sit in their little row boats and let the currents of life take them wherever and then are surprised or disappointed about what happens. Or if they do set goals, the goals are too vague- I’ll do whatever, whenever, or too unrealistic- I want “x”, but am not capable or prepared to do what it takes. Either way, it’s not good.

I’ve created the following PowerPoint presentation to teach my students about smart goals. I want them to be as successful as they can be and learning to set smart goals will go a long way toward making that happen.

You’re welcome to use the presentation if you think it would be useful. I’ll be happy to send it to you if you send me an email or leave a comment asking for it.

I’m going to show the Slideshare to my students as part of the discussion we have about setting smart goals. After the discussion, I’m going to get them to create a VoiceThread to present their short, medium and long term goals. I’ll get them to post their VoiceThread in the class blog. They’ll need lots of scaffolding in the form of graphic organizers and lots of one-on-one support. It will be a hectic few classes because they have to learn how to set smart goals as well as how to present them using VoiceThread. I know it will be worth it though.

Comments

91 Responses to “Helping my students set goals the smart way”

1. Christopher on February 9th, 2009 9:28 am

This is a great slideshow. With teachers, this should be an easy thing to model as we develop lessons and units. We can point out specific goals we want to meet, how we will measure them, explain why they are attainable and realistic, and explain the timing and the deadlines. This is a great lesson to keep everyone on the right track!

2. Elona Hartjes on February 9th, 2009 5:35 pm

Christopher,
    Thanks for those kind words. You know, your right. We could model smart goal setting just as you suggested. Maybe that would even help some of those kids who ask “Why are we doing this?” understand the what, why and how of what we are asking them to do in class.

3. Beth on February 10th, 2009 10:44 am

Hi,

I got my team of 7th grade teachers to agree to do SMART goals with all of our students who did not make honor/merit this quarter. Could you email me the slide show and any graphic organizers you used. I have some of my own I’m going to pull! I’m so excited that I read your blog at the same time we were having our discussion on how to support our students! Must be web Karma :)

Beth

4. Elona Hartjes on February 10th, 2009 7:48 pm

Beth, I’d be delighted to forward my slideshare and a graphic organizer I’ve created to go with it. Hope you find both useful.

5. Astrid on March 2nd, 2009 11:16 pm

As part of our school effectiveness plan we are having students write their own SMART goals. I plan on using this slide show as a jumping off point for my students to write their own SMART goals. I would love it if you could forward me a copy of the graphic organizer you use to accompany the slideshow.
    Thanks,
    Astrid

6. Donna Gioello on March 10th, 2009 4:12 am

While researching SMART goals I came upon this site. I loved the slide show and could use this with my students and teachers as we move forward in writing goals together. Wondering if you could email me the slide show and graphic organizer?

7. Karen Goldberg on July 27th, 2009 10:48 am

Hi
    We are currently preparing our students to write their own SMART goals in September. Would you email me the slide show and the graphic organizer that you use? I really like your approach. It’s very clear.
    Thanks,
    Karen

8. Candice on August 26th, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing this great information! Would you mind e-mailing any graphic organizer you use? I plan on showing the slideshow to my students but would love a graphic organizer to go with it. THANKS!

9. Faida on August 27th, 2009 2:17 pm

I L-O-V-E this. Would you please email me the slide show and the graphic organizer.

Thank you so much!!

10. Jonathan Cabrera on September 8th, 2009 2:01 am

Thanks for this. I’m working with Seniors this year, and I want to help them set up some SMART goals during the first week of school as part of my community building first days unit. Your slide show and graphic organizer should certainly help me help them get started on creating their goals.

Thank you.

11. Alisha LIeber on October 7th, 2009 3:01 pm

I was really excited to come across this Power Point. I individually goal set with all of my students to help them with their reading. I follow the same format S.M.A.R.T. I like how I will be able to have a something to show all my students before I actually goal set with them individually. I agree that goals are important. It has proved to be a successful tool in my classroom.

Thanks!

12. Linda Abu on October 21st, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank you so much for creating a kid friendly power point of the S.M.A.R.T. goal setting process. This is truly powerful, as a tremendous resource both for educators as well as students.

Thanks!
    .-= Linda Abu´s last blog ..Extension for Fieldwork =-.

13. Elona Hartjes on October 22nd, 2009 6:26 pm

Linda,
    Why thank you. I hope you find it useful. Please share. I had lots of fun creating it.

14. Holli Prior on October 27th, 2009 9:55 am

I would LOVE to have a copy of your powerpoint and graphic organizer! I want to teach my leadership class about SMART goals. Could you forward me a copy?

15. Crystal church on October 27th, 2009 9:37 pm

I would love a copy of this powerpoint. We are trying to have students set smart goals as well.

Thank you so much for sharing.

16. Karey Jaeger on November 6th, 2009 12:15 pm

I am not able to access your presentation from my school computer. I would appreciate it if you could email a copy to me.
    Thank you so much!
    Karey Jaeger, Carlsbad Unified School District

17. Laura Branam on November 19th, 2009 8:58 am

Thank you so much!
    Laua Branam
    School counselor

18. Danielle Adams on November 25th, 2009 2:54 pm

I am working with my 2nd graders on goal setting, and the teachers at my school are writing SMART goals of our own, so I definitely see the connection. I would really appreciate it if you could email me your slideshow and the graphic organizer you created. Thanks so much!

19. Geoffrey Foster on December 1st, 2009 2:00 pm

I am currently undergoing the CTLLS course
    and my chosen subject is agreeing goals and actions. I have never used a powerpoint but have seen them and they look great to use. I want my work to look professional so i would appreciate a copy if possible to help me do this.

Regards

Geoff

20. Harry Che on December 22nd, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the presentation. It’s very clear and to the point.

You may want to check out http://www.GoalsOnTrack.com, a very nicely built web app designed for tracking goals and todo lists, and supports time tracking too. It’s clear, focused, easy to navigate, worth a try.
    .-= Harry Che´s last blog ..How to Choose a Goal Setting System =-.

21. Bill Davies on December 29th, 2009 7:35 am

I have just started a UK qualification ‘Certificate to Teach in The Lifelong Learning Sector’ Your presentation on SMART goals wiould be ideal for me to deliver to my fellow sudents next week.

Rgds
    Bill Davies

22. caroline ingamells on March 24th, 2010 12:00 pm

hi i am doing my cttls course and would be usefull for a presentation .

23. Nicole Jettner on April 12th, 2010 6:06 am

What a great powerpoint! We are in the process of setting up an advisory program and I think this would be perfect to kick off our unit on goal setting. If you could email the PP and the graphic organizer I’d really appreciate it! Thanks!

Nicole

24. Cathy on August 17th, 2010 10:35 pm

Great kid-friendly power point for SMART goals! I was wondering if you would email me the PP and the graphic organizer. Thanks so much!
    Cathy

25. Rachel Abraham on August 23rd, 2010 5:59 am

Hi,

I would love to use your PP to show my 5th graders how to set goals for themselves.

Thanks!!
    Rachel

26. Elona Hartjes on August 24th, 2010 1:40 pm

I’ll send it to you next week when I have access to my computer again.

27. Deanne Cedar on August 30th, 2010 12:18 am

I love this powerpoint. I was going to have my Band students set personal goals at the beginning of the school year but did not know how to start. This presentation is a great first step.

28. Deborah Nicholson on October 29th, 2010 4:16 pm

Could you please e-mail me the smart goals slide show as well as the graphic organizers you have for setting goals. Thank you so much! I am a long term substitute working with a highschool Personal Development Class and I think your resources will be very helpful!!

I just re-sent this e-mail because my e-mail was wrong on the first one:)

29. Rosiana Silva on November 9th, 2010 9:26 pm

I really enjoyed this Powerpoint presentation.It was very useful and I’ll also share with my students.
    I want to show this slideshow to other teachers in order to improve their teaching.
    Thanks for you help.

30. Diane Jacobson on April 19th, 2011 7:27 pm

I would like to use your Powerpoint to help my students set goals. It is clear and to the point. Could you please send it to me along with any graphic organizers? Thanks for your help.

31. Michaela Chea on June 16th, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi, I would be very grateful if you can share your slides with me. I am preparing a goal setting session with my Year 10 students and parents next week. Would be great to put in some of your resources together with mine.

Thank you.

32. Niloufer on June 30th, 2011 9:16 am

I would like to use your Power Point presentation to help my 5th graders set goals for themselves. Would greatly appreciate it if you could please email it to me along with the graphic organizer.

Many thanks!

33. nikky on July 10th, 2011 5:42 pm

Please I need this ppt
    I have a presentation on Tuesday for 5th graders
    Please help
    this is awesome

34. Kelley on August 2nd, 2011 7:18 pm

I would like to have access to this powerpoint to teach my first graders about setting reading goals this year.

35. Karen Johnson on August 4th, 2011 5:02 pm

I would like to use your powerpoint and any graphic organizers in Sept with my 3rd graders as we implement a standards based model. Thank you.

36. Gary Stuedemann on August 7th, 2011 9:19 pm

I would like to use your powerpoint and any graphic organizers you have as an opener in my High school classes on the first day of school. I think that success comes from setting and working toward goals. Some will be attained and others will not. It is the genuine effort that matters.
    Thanks!

37. Deb on August 8th, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi
    I teach 4th to 7th graders. I believe goal setting is an important skill. I would love to use you power point and any graphic organizer you could send me.
    Thanks
    Deb

38. Elona Hartjes on August 19th, 2011 7:26 pm

How can I help you?

39. JEnn on September 10th, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello! I love your presentation on SMART goals and would enjoy using it with my grade 6/7 class at the beginning of this year. If you can possibly send me a copy of the show and any graphic organizers you used I would greatly appreciate it.

40. Madelaine Barrientos on October 1st, 2011 9:05 am

Hi,

I would like to request a copy of the slideshow and graphic organizers. I teach 4th grade and I have been talking to my students about setting goals. I think this slideshow can be very helpful.

Thank you.

41. Stacie on October 15th, 2011 11:58 am

This is very helpful. I would love to have a copy of the slideshow and graphic organizer. We are starting goal setting in my district and I think this will give not only my students some direction, but me as well.

Thank you!

42. K on October 25th, 2011 7:40 pm

Just like the others before me I found your slideshow to be very helpful. I would love a copy of it and any graphic organizers,

Thanks!

43. Margaret Radier on October 27th, 2011 3:09 am

Hello,
    We are currently making all our students write their own SMART goals for the second part of this school term. Would you kindly send me your slide show and the graphic organizer that you use? I really like your approach. It’s very clear.
    Thank you.
    Margaret

44. Mary V. Ricciardi on November 2nd, 2011 5:31 pm

I would very much like a copy of your slide show. I need to develop goals for my special education classes – only 2 to 3. I am having a difficult time just thinking of a goal(s) that would be suitable and attainable. Can you help.
    Thank you.

45. rosemary jackson on November 4th, 2011 10:19 am

I need suitable goals students would write for themselves.

46. Kristina on November 13th, 2011 6:28 pm

I would love a copy of your powerpoint and any graphic organizers. Thank you!

47. Denise Hendersom on November 20th, 2011 6:57 pm

I would love a copy of your powerpoint and any graphic organizers I can use for first graders. Thank you!

48. Shona McNicol on January 4th, 2012 3:23 pm

I would also love a copy of your powerpoint Elona. Thank you in advance.

49. Emily Neistadt on January 7th, 2012 2:13 am

HI there! I am a second year teacher, and I work at a continuation high school in California. I was looking for a power point that I could tweak to teach my students about setting goals. I came across your slideshow, and I don’t even think it needs any tweaking! Could you possibly send it to me this weekend? We start the second semester on Monday, I’d love to have it for the first day back. Did you do any handouts with it? I feel like I need something to help them write out their personal goals. Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it!!

50. Paula on January 13th, 2012 2:33 pm

I would really appreciate a copy of your powerpoint and graphic organizer to use with my ELL students. Thank you!

51. Dave Ashby on February 1st, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi, I am just taking my CTLLS teaching in the adult sector qualification, I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of your presentation as a PowerPoint Show.

Thanks

52. Dave Ashby on February 2nd, 2012 9:27 am

Hi, thank you for sending the information, as a college student doing my 2nd stage qualification to becoming a teacher I am one of a number of students, I have directed them through a forum to your site, the information is very informative and useful.

53. Michelle on March 26th, 2012 11:43 am

Hi,

I think this would be great for my ILS class where we start each term with setting goals. I would greatly appreciate if you could email your presentation.

Thanks,
    Michelle

54. Resources for UDL | bobbijostaleymaet on July 14th, 2012 5:44 am

[…] 8) Helping my students set goals the smart way […]

55. michelle on July 29th, 2012 10:52 pm

I would love a copy of the presentation and graphic organizer if you don’t mind sharing!

Thanks!

56. Jill on August 18th, 2012 12:25 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for my fifth grade classroom! Please send me a copy of your powerpoint presentation. Thank you! Thank you!

57. Kay on September 3rd, 2012 3:08 am

This seems very useful. Please email me ppt. Thnx
    Kay´s last blog post ..The Ontario government is bullying teachers and needs to stop.

58. Elona Hartjes on September 6th, 2012 9:48 am

Kay,
    I tried to send you a copy of the resource but your email bounced back. Please send me another e address and I’ll forward the resource.

59. Penny Barrentine on September 15th, 2012 9:44 pm

I would love a copy of your resources for SMART Goals. I am a first year teacher of ICT 2 for 8th graders.
    Thanks!

PB

60. Penny Barrentine on September 15th, 2012 10:34 pm

I would love a copy of your resources.

61. Leslie Moritz on September 22nd, 2012 11:12 am

Hi! Could you please send me a copy of the slide show via email and the organizers you have used for this?

Thank you so much!!! Great information!

62. Tom DiSante on November 6th, 2012 9:43 am

Setting goals, especially for the middle school student, are an important part of quality instruction. This slide show keeps it simple. Middle school students needs short burst of realistic success.
    Tom DiSante´s last blog post ..Use Opendyslexic font in text and in devices to make reading easier for students with dyslexia

63. Robyn Roth on November 18th, 2012 8:22 pm

I would love a copy of your slide show and any other documentation that goes along with the lesson on SMART goals. Thanks for sharing!

64. Cynthia Smith on November 20th, 2012 3:01 am

Setting goals is an important concept even for elementary students. Please send me a copy of your SMART goals power point. It would have to be adapted from my young students but I like the way you used the acronym “SMART” to present the topic.

I also noticed that Leslie Moritz on 9/22/12 requested graphic organizers. I would love to receive copies of the same.

Thank you in advance for sharing your advice, materials, and expertise with us all!

65. TaRyan Theophile on December 11th, 2012 8:13 pm

hi can you send me that goal setting powerpoint it was really nice.

66. Katherine Tanner on December 18th, 2012 1:48 pm

Can I please ask for a copy of your power point for goal setting

67. holly french on December 27th, 2012 1:43 pm

I am using ipods and would love to use your idea of voice threads for my class to record their goals.

Thanks

68. Elona Hartjes on December 29th, 2012 8:45 am

I think your students would find the voice threads activity really engaging. Good luck.

69. Michelle on January 7th, 2013 2:42 pm

Can you please email me the powerpoint? Thanks!

70. Tammy on January 30th, 2013 5:00 pm

Hello, can you please email me the powerpoint? Thank you so much!

71. shaila on February 6th, 2013 5:31 am

Hi
    Thanks,
    shaila

72. Steve dumonski on March 9th, 2013 5:42 pm

Awesome idea. We are currently setting smart goals could you please send me the ppt. and graphic organizer.

Thanks Steve

73. Victoria Simon on April 16th, 2013 8:51 pm

Elona –

Love it! I am a principal of a school for at-risk elementary students. Would you please email me the powerpoint so I can use it in our classrooms?

74. Kellie Martini on April 23rd, 2013 3:44 pm

Would love a copy of this power point! Thanks so much!

75. Shanta Viswanathan on April 29th, 2013 5:24 am

I am a supervisor for teaching and Learning. I want my high school students to understand the value of ‘Goal setting’ and how to go about doing the same. May I request for your presentation on the topic and the graphic organiser related to it. I would be very grateful if you could share any other resources that you have on Goal setting that would help my boys. Thanks a ton.

76. Monica Gracia on June 3rd, 2013 7:21 am

Hi my name is Monica. I am a tutor currently living in UK, as you say, seeting goals will help our learners to be able to identify what are they looking for and how to achieve these goals. I think that your presentation is “easy to follow ” that’s why I am interested in your presentation. ” . Also could I have more information about Voice Thread please.

Many thanks,

Monica

77. munya on June 12th, 2013 9:55 am

hi name is munya,l’m a primary school teacher in south africa.l would like to help my pupils to understand why it is important to set smart goals.l would appriciate if you can sent me your presantation.l would also appreciate if you can sent me any other materials related to setting smart goals.thank you in advance.

78. munyaradzi on June 12th, 2013 11:28 am

hi,my name is munya.l’m a teacher.l am interested in your presentation.l would also appreciate if you can sent me other materials on the setting of smart goals.thank you in advance.

79. Berentha on July 12th, 2013 12:31 pm

Hello, my name is Berentha and l’m a special education teacher. l am interested in your presentation. Our district focuses on SMART Goals for our collaborative learning and I think the students would benefit from it as well. l would also appreciate if you can sent me other materials on the setting of smart goals.thank you in advance.

80. Greg M on August 16th, 2013 1:51 pm

If you are still sharing these files (the ppt and graphic organizer,) please send them my way.
    Thanks for your efforts in sharing your ideas and insights

81. Elona Hartjes on August 16th, 2013 5:56 pm

Yes,I still have themto share. I’ll forward them to you

82. Seini on September 15th, 2013 9:29 am

Hi there, this sounds like a great powerpoint – lots of great feedback! Would love a copy of the powerpoint and graphic organizers to use in my classroon if they are still available.
    Many thanks!

83. bob on September 27th, 2013 11:20 am

the powerpoint presentation is fantastic. the wise old owl is the greatest. could you please email it to me asap. thanks

84. denise on January 6th, 2014 8:24 pm

hello!
    we are working on goal setting for the new year! I would love any materials you have to share!
    thanks so much!

85. Rod falconer on July 29th, 2014 6:21 am

Hello,
    I am a part time teacher in a small rural school who is interested in writing SMART Goals for my planning.
    Could you please send me your Slide presentation and graphic organiser related to the PowerPoint presentation?
    Rod

86. Quernande Wells on August 15th, 2014 7:35 am

I would LOVE to have a copy of your powerpoint and graphic organizer!! I want to teach all of my students about SMART goals. Could you kindly forward me a copy? I hope I can get it prayerfully by the 19th of August. Sorry for the late request. I just started this course this week and I recently discovered your website today and school starts on the 20th.

Kindly,

87. Kay Adams on August 26th, 2014 12:38 pm

I am looking for a new/more effective way to teach SMART goals. I would love to see what you have. Thanks!

88. Elona Hartjes on August 26th, 2014 2:01 pm

Kay,
    Just click on e link in my post and you’ll see the slide show I prepared for y students. It’s also available at slideshare.com under my name Elona Hartjes.

89. Beth on September 7th, 2014 10:07 am

The powerpoint is fantastic! Could you email me the smart goals slide show as well as the graphic organizers you have for setting goals. Sometimes when I try sites with slides at school I get the firewall. In reading the comments, I found the Opendyslexic font text site and info.which is something I needed, since will be taking the Orton Gillingham course this years. Thank you so much for sharing!

90. Nancy Doyle on September 11th, 2014 8:22 pm

I work with Gr. 2-4 students as a Title 1 reading instructor. In preparation for setting my own smart goal for my 2 year evaluation cycle, I have come across several papers on helping students set smart goals in the classroom. Many of my students speak English as their second language and live in an area of poverty. The students come to me for 30-45 minutes daily, in groups of 5-7 students. At first I thought about setting smart goals with 2nd and 3rd gr. students, too, but now am thinking that trying this with my 4th gr. groups, for this year, might be wiser. I’d love to hear your opinion, and would appreciate any material you have that would address this. Thank you so much for sharing your article.

91. Callie on September 14th, 2014 11:56 am

Hi, This is my first year homeschooling. I have a 7th grader and I would love to use your power point in teaching him to set goals. This would be a great way to start our new year off.
    Thanks so much, Callie